Thursday, June 3, 2010

Going Postal (Service)

Let's talk about snail mail. In modern society we have this thing called email, you may be familiar with it. If you aren't familiar with it I suggest you stop reading this blog immediately. It's that communication mechanism that we check incessantly and use for everything from getting work done, to keeping in touch with old friends, to breaking up with a significant other. Most of us actually have multiple email accounts. I have two email accounts, both of which I receive on my phone. So let me clarify...on my handy-dandy iPhone I can:  Text, call people, send and receive emails, get on the the internet, update my Facebook status, view all the daily tweets on the people I follow on Twitter, play games, snap a few photos, check the weather in Hong Kong, listen to the radio (not to mention all the music I have on my iTunes), watch the latest YouTube video that has gone viral, figure out the nearest coffee shop to my current location and the directions to get there, not to mention about 10 million other things because there is an app for EVERYTHING PEOPLE. Phew! I am tired. But wait, there's more! If I ever get bored of my phone I can always just whip out my computer, which does all of that and more.

Yesterday I was at work and I had my cell phone, the land line cordless phone at my office, a laptop, and a desktop computer all in front of me. I came to the realization that I may be slightly over-stimulated by technology. I blame Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for this.

I grew up with technology. I remember what life was like without a computer in my home, but barely. I certainly remember the days before a GPS in the car--but now that we have them, I have absolutely no idea what I would do without it. I would likely be late to every meeting I have in the Portland-metro area because my sense of direction is lacking.

Either way, I think I am going to start letter-writing more. It is so exciting and rare to receive a letter in the mail! Usually when I check the mail all that is there are ads or bills. Not exciting, nor rare--and even most bills get paid online now. Getting birthday or holiday cards are nice, too, but there is nothing like getting a letter from someone just writing to say hi or update you on their life. The last time I even remember this happening is when I would go to overnight summer camp growing up. I was only there for only five days or so, but my Mom would send me a card telling me all about the things that the family was doing while I was gone. It was so memorable because it actually  made me feel like I was far away and brave for being gone sooo long. I'm sure that my Mom and Dad had to put that letter in the mail about 3 hours after she dropped me off at camp. I was a lucky kid!



It is amazing to look at how far we have come. A postal system used to be a indication of a civilized society. Now, its an antiquated way to communicate. So here is to writing more letters...send me your mailing addresses people! Emails not allowed, because even though snail mail is slower than email, it is the fastest way to my heart!

1 comment:

  1. I'm hella good at snail mail. Just this week I sent a card to my gma and a card to some biz lady I met a couple weeks back who was awesome. Maybe I'll send you something. Further... my sister totally just posted her address on the www.

    ReplyDelete