Thursday, January 26, 2012

Delicious Ambiguity

I can’t seem to go less than three months between blog posts. Could it be a lack of inspiration lately? My commitment issues in general? The verdict is out. That said, I don’t think my haphazard posts will affect the general population, so I’ll proceed. I’d like to give some updates on what’s going on in my life, but I think I’ll just do it one post at a time.


First thing’s first. I got a new j-o-b. Sister over here is continuing to work hard for the money running the Oregon State Treasurer’s re-election campaign, which means brand new Google alerts and a slammage of new, exciting, non-stop work!

This won’t come as a surprise to anyone who knows me, but I have some trouble making big life choices. Scratch that—just life choices in general. Are these really the boots I want? Should I change jobs? Why do health insurance companies refuse to cover me? From the trivial to the not-so-trivial, I craft ridiculous pro and con lists, consult with every last person I feel could be helpful (twice), and generally annoy everybody with my indecision for at least a good 48 hours. Ultimately, I will make an educated choice that I feel has always been the right one for me, but it doesn’t make it any less draining and stressful a process.

After the decision is made and behind me, I always feel a sense of remorse set in as I realize my problems are not big and that there are people in the world who can’t find work, can’t feed their families, have lost their homes, and have REAL life choices to make. I guess I better work on that whole perspective thing.

But for now, there’s a Gilda Radner quote that I’m totally into:
"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."

No comments:

Post a Comment