Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Occupy Portland

Hundreds of people have now been Occupying Portland (and Wall Street, and Seattle, and…etc) for almost an entire week. They are camped out at Chapman Park, closing off SW Main Street to all thru traffic. I found the initial march and protest affective and inspiring. It’s not often we see a movement take hold nationally and stick. The press has covered it here in Oregon in a positive way. I can’t help but think of the Arab Spring uprisings earlier this year. I’m grateful there are a couple stark differences between the Occupy movements and the Arab Spring movements…most notably the lack of violence and arrests. And the City of Portland has been working with the protestors, not against them, a fact I find hilarious for an anti-establishment movement.


I pass by the Occupy Portland camp each day on my way to work as I drive down SW 4th Avenue. I’m fascinated by the community that has been set up there…they have a library. Yes, a library. But now I’m starting to wonder: What’s next, occupiers? I agree with their basic cause for action. Big banks in this country are out of the control and the disparity of wealth among Americans is outrageous. I’m not now, nor ever will be a member of the 1% of the wealthiest faction of this nation, and there should be more equity. But is continuing to sit in a park for days on end the way to achieve this? They certainly have the right to do so, and I think a point has been made to both corporations and our elected officials. But I’m concerned the creators of this movement didn’t think past the “let’s march through the streets of our city” phase. The ultimate solutions to these issues need to be approached in a long-term, collaborative way. People are disenchanted and disenfranchised with government. I get it—government is bureaucratic and slow. But this is the system our founders created and put forth for us to use. The right to protest is vital and I’m glad to see it utilized. But what comes after the protesting? I want to do some research on this question, because it’s not the first time we’ve seen something like this in our country. I wasn’t alive for the last era of rebellion in the 1960s and 1970s. But I believe we have to work with our leaders in office to come to solutions and put actions into place. The waves of revolutions and civil uprisings in Libya, Tunisia, Yemen, etc were triggered by police corruption, ill treatment, and an desire to overthrow the entire government regime. But it’s not the same here.

I’m still forming my opinion around these movements. I think it’s exciting, and I hope for positive change in the direction of equality and fairness. Our country is fraught with economic and social injustices, and I’m glad that citizens are engaging in the issues and voicing their opinions. I’m not sure what’s next, but I can’t wait to find out because I have feeling we are making history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment